Baby, it’s cold outside! Or, if you live in the South like I do, it’s “somewhat colder than normal” outside! Haha. Ok, for us Southerners (transplanted or otherwise – I swear your blood thins), anything below 60 degrees is cold. So today’s high of 38 definitely counts.
I love this time of year, mostly because it reminds me of growing up in Germany. The lights, the temperature, and even the light drizzle and grey skies make me think of Oma’s house at Christmas. It doesn’t help that my mom and dad keep sending me pictures of every Christkindelmarkt they’re going to…
I may not be able to hop on a plane overseas every December, but I can at least try to recreate as much of the atmosphere as possible at home. This Mulled Holiday Cider will leave your house smelling like a Christkindelmarkt, and since it’s alcohol-free, the minions can join in.
- 8 cups 100% natural apple cider, ideally freshly made, but store-bought will work just fine
- 1/4-1/2 cup honey
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 orange, unpeeled, washed, and thinly sliced
- Add all ingredients except the oranges into a large saucepan. Cover and heat on low-medium heat for 15 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil! Just let it get nice and warm and infused with flavor.
- Add the oranges slices and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture through a strainer to remove the fruit and all pieces of spices.
- Serve warm (ideally immediately).
- ©RunLiftRD, LLC | runliftrd.com |